Our experienced team of editors and researchers contributed to this article and tested it for accuracy and completeness.
The number of sources used in this article is 15. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
The wikiHow content management team carefully monitors the work of editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
The ability to perform longitudinal splits is quite an impressive skill. Nevertheless, the successful implementation of the twine requires a sufficiently large plasticity of the legs and hips. You will need considerable practice to increase your flexibility, since when doing the twine, in no case should you rush and forget about safety rules. Regular stretching and a training regimen will certainly help you learn how to easily perform longitudinal splits.
What is twine: a bit of theory
Before you begin the exercises, you should understand: what is twine? It is worth mentioning that in gymnastics, ballet and yoga, the approach to twine is different. In gymnastics, this is an element that adds to the performance of entertainment. The same can be said of dancing. In this case, the position of the spine and joints is almost not taken care of: the main thing is to achieve the desired stretch.
In yoga, things are different. No pain: twine is achieved by maximizing the mobility of the hip joints. In this case, the muscles should not hurt and the person will be able to twist and bend in different directions.
Advice!To quickly achieve the result you need to stretch twice a day: in the mornings and evenings. In the morning it will be more difficult to carry out exercises, however, training will be more effective. Stretching your muscles in the evening is easier: you can say that before going to bed you will consolidate the result.
Why do you need to sit on the twine?
If you think that sitting on the twine is solely for the sake of being able to boast about your stretch, you are mistaken. Thanks to this exercise, you can achieve many effects:
- Increased mobility of the pelvic bones
- Improving the blood supply to the pelvic organs,
- Improving posture and straightening the spine,
- Strengthening the muscles of the abs and hips.
- Doctors even claim that doing stretching exercises is an excellent prevention of various diseases of the genitourinary system!
Advice!As you exercise, concentrate on your inner feelings. You should never feel pain: just a pleasant feeling of stretching.
Who should not try to sit on a longitudinal twine?
Of course, everyone wants to become more flexible. However, if you have contraindications for stretching exercises, you should refuse training.
Do not try to sit on the twine in the following cases:
- Your temperature has risen
- You have chronic joint diseases,
- You recently had a muscle injury or fracture,
- There are inflammatory processes in your body.
Stop exercising immediately if you feel dizzy or have tinnitus! Lie down, drink water, try to relax your muscles. If during training these symptoms recur regularly, you need to see a doctor: most likely, you have problems with the vessels.
Advice!Take a hot shower 15–10 minutes before your workout: this will make your muscles more elastic and minimize the risk of injury.
Warm up: start training
Why is it worth starting with longitudinal twine? Everything is very simple: longitudinal twine is considered the simplest. After all, it involves the same muscles that work while walking. Therefore, you can sit in the longitudinal twine much faster than in the transverse. Even people who have never been involved in sports or gymnastics can do this.
Neglecting the warm-up, you can cause significant harm to the muscles and joints and permanently lose the desire to do stretching
However, before you start stretching, you need to stretch. After all, how quickly to sit on a longitudinal split, if your muscles are not ready for stress? Neglecting the warm-up, you can cause significant damage to the muscles and joints and permanently lose the desire to do stretching. Any cardio workout is suitable as a warm-up. Choose the exercises that you like the most: do a few energetic squats, jump over the rope. If you have an exercise bike or treadmill, exercise them. This will prepare the muscles and improve blood circulation. In addition, thanks to cardio exercises, you can combine stretching with weight loss, which is very important for many.
Advice!Exercise in a warm room. At low temperatures, the muscles stretch much worse. If the room is cool, put on warm clothes.
Effective Stretching Exercises
If you do not know how to sit on a longitudinal twine, start with lunges. This exercise resembles the usual lunges that many people do in the gym. However, there is a difference: at the lower point it is necessary to fix and try to stretch the thigh muscles with light springing movements.
Bending your leg, emphasize your thigh with your hands slightly above the knee and make several springing movements. In total, 20-30 repetitions per leg are required; three approaches are performed in total.
Advice!In order to record the results achieved, use the usual ruler: measure the distance from the groin to the floor at the time of maximum muscle strain.
This exercise helps to stretch your thigh muscles and make your hip joints more flexible. Sit on the floor, spread your knees apart and connect your feet. If your knees are on the floor, you can proceed to the next exercise. However, such innate flexibility is relatively rare: in most people, the knees are far enough away from the floor. Your goal is to make your knees level with your feet.
Start slowly pushing your knees with your hands, without making sudden jerks. Whenever the muscles are stretched, exhale: this will make the exercise even more effective.
Advice!Do not stop doing exercises and do not take long breaks! Otherwise, the results will deteriorate and you will have to start over.
Of course, in your house there is hardly a real ballet loom. However, it may well be replaced by a table, chair or window sill. Put your foot on an impromptu “machine tool”. Make a deep slope to the working leg. In this case, it is impossible to bend the supporting leg or twist the body. Do two dozen repetitions and change the working leg. In total, three approaches are required for each leg.
There is one more exercise “with a machine tool”: while keeping your working foot on a support, start doing a slow squat. You will immediately feel the thigh muscles stretch. However, caution must be exercised: this exercise is only suitable for people who already have some experience in stretching training.
Advice!Do not try to set a deadline for achieving a result. All people are different: someone will sit on the twine in a few weeks, someone will need years.
If you decide that you are obliged to sit on a longitudinal split in a month and do not achieve a result, this can cause great disappointment and discourage the desire to continue training. Consider your individual characteristics. And do not believe the trainers who claim to know how to sit on the longitudinal twine in a week!
When doing stretching at home, you can use a chair or table instead of a ballet machine
Leaning forward from a sitting position
If you are learning how to sit on a twine lengthwise, the exercise will help you to stretch the muscles located on the inside of the thighs. To do this, sit on the floor and spread your straight legs to the sides as far as you can. Stretch your arms forward and try to make a deep tilt. To make the exercise easier, you can put your palms on the floor and "slide" forward. Once you reach maximum stretch, lock in for one minute. No sudden movements! If you feel severe pain, lean back slightly.
Gradually, you will notice that leaning forward is becoming easier and easier. This suggests that the muscles are stretching, and the goal of training is approaching.
Advice!If you feel muscle pain after stretching exercises, do not give up training. Take a hot bath and massage yourself: this will help to remove lactic acid, which is the cause of discomfort.
Runner Pose: Yoga Exercise
Take a deep breath, lunge forward, place the foot of the leg, which turned out to be front, under the knee. Extend the other leg, rest on your fingers and point the heel back. Place your hands on either side of your front foot.
The shoulders should be straightened and lowered, and the neck elongated. Look straight ahead. Tighten the abdominal muscles. In this position, try to linger for one minute. Keep your breathing calm and even.
Advice!It does not matter if you can not stand in the pose of a runner for a full minute. At first, stay in it for as long as you can: after some time, the muscles will get used to the loads, and you can easily keep the body in the position you need.
Hip Stretch Exercises
These simple exercises will allow you to quickly make your leg muscles more elastic, which helps to achieve your goal. So, regularly do the following exercise:
Lie on the floor, lift one leg as high as you can, trying to pull it to the body. It is very important not to bend the knee of the “working” leg: of course, this way you can raise it higher, but the exercise will not bring the desired effect. When the leg reaches the extreme point, lock for 20-30 seconds. The exercise should be repeated for the second leg. Do 10-15 sets.
Advice!If you want the warm-up before stretching exercises to be not only effective, but also fun, put on your favorite energetic music and start dancing! Incendiary dances will perfectly prepare your muscles for the upcoming loads.
There are several simple ways to stretch your muscles for longitudinal twine. So, spread your legs perpendicular to the body as wide as you can, and follow these steps:
- Take some books. Put them in such a way as to “sit” on a stack. As soon as you understand that the floor distance can be shortened, remove the top book,
- Sit in the twine as deep as you can. Performing this exercise, you should feel a slight discomfort: the muscles seem to begin to tremble slightly. Hold this position for 15-20 seconds and slowly rise. It is important that your feet slide on the floor at the same time.
Advice!Try to practice at least four times a week. Of course, ideally, it is advisable to do stretching exercises daily, but this is not always possible.
Performing longitudinal twine
In order to make this exercise easier, it is worth doing it on a smooth, slippery floor, wearing socks. Your feet need to slide slightly on the surface.
With regular stretching exercises, your twine will soon become a reality
Try to sit on the twine as deep as you can. Place your hands on the floor and begin to make springy movements. At the lowest point, try to linger for 30–40 seconds.
Advice!Do not overdo it! It is better to do fewer approaches without damaging the muscles. Excessive zeal in performing stretching exercises can lead to microscopic ruptures of muscle fibers and stretching of tendons.
Who should not sit on a longitudinal twine
Absolutely everyone can master longitudinal twine, regardless of age, gender and natural flexibility. The only question is how much time are you willing to spend to achieve your goal. As a rule, the fastest way to achieve results is in children. But, there are some limitations here.
It is better to avoid excessive stretching in the following situations:
- Inflammatory diseases of the joints and muscles. Especially when the disease is in an acute stage. Additional stretching in such a situation can lead to injuries and the development of the disease.
- Arterial hypertension (chronic high blood pressure). We cannot categorically assert that in the presence of such a pathology it is impossible to sit on longitudinal twine. But, we strongly recommend that you consult with your doctor before starting workouts. He can give recommendations on how to properly approach the construction of a workout in this case.
- Pelvic and spinal injuries. A variety of cracks and dislocations are especially dangerous. In such situations, training should be postponed until complete recovery.
- Postoperative and rehabilitation periods. Some people who have undergone various surgical interventions or serious diseases tend to return to an active lifestyle as soon as possible. A leisurely stretch brings them the illusion of a safe workout. But, remember that even this can harm a fragile body. It is better to postpone the start of training until complete recovery.
Remember that during stretching you should not feel sharp pains in the muscles. You can start training only after warming up. All muscles should be warmed up and ready for an unusual load. Cold ligaments and tendons are very fragile. Any sudden movement can result in injury. Remember the simple formula that applies to any kind of training: warm-up - main part - hitch. This sequence of actions will help to avoid injuries and discomfort after a set of exercises.
In order to make a high-quality stretch and sit on the twine, it is not necessary to run to the gym. This is quite possible to carry out at home. It is important to choose the right set of exercises and perform it regularly. In addition, home workouts will help to save not only the money spent on the fitness club, but also precious time.
For training at home, you will need a rug or place with a suitable cover for classes, a chair with a back and a small stack of books. The chair will serve as additional support, when performing some exercises. But, if you are physically prepared enough, and do not experience any problems with balance, it may not be necessary.
Stretching to longitudinal twine: basic rules
In the question of how to sit on a longitudinal twine, you first need to study the general recommendations. Among them are the following:
- Start stretching only after preheating. This will help prevent injuries. In addition, the warm ligaments stretch much better. As a warm-up, light cardio training for 15-20 minutes can serve. You can run, jump rope and so on.
- Do exercises everydayfor about half an hour. This is very important - rare workouts, even if they are long, will not help to achieve the desired result. To increase efficiency, it is recommended to stretch twice a day - in the morning and in the evening. Morning stretching is difficult, but very productive. And in the evening it is easier to stretch, because by the end of the day the muscles become more flexible and supple.
- Highly are useful for longitudinal twine static poses, which suggest that, having lingered in the final pose, you should stay in it for a while. Pulsating down-up movements require caution, as they can cause stretching.
- In each pose, it is recommended to stay no less than 30 seconds. Gradually increase the amplitude of movement and the duration of the exercise.
- When doing stretching, concentrate on your body. Soft stretching in the muscles should be felt, but severe pain is unacceptable. When you feel it, stop exercising or reduce the range of motion.
- If you practice in a cool room, try dress warmer - put on warm socks or tights. In order for the muscles to stretch well, the ligaments must be warm, and at cold temperatures they cool down quickly, which complicates the exercises.
- Stretching to longitudinal twine suggests that always keep your back straightYou must not round it. Pull the crown down. When tilting, try to lower your legs, not with your head, but with your stomach.
- You can monitor your results with a centimeter tape.. Having reached the maximum stretch, measure the distance from the inguinal region to the floor surface. Gradually improve this indicator.
- Try not to set specific dates for yourself, for which you sit on the twine, and do not focus on the results of others. У каждого свой организм, свой уровень гибкости и свои особенности, поэтому прежде всего думайте о качестве, а не об оперативности.
Как сесть на продольный шпагат: упражнения
Снова напомним, что перед началом упражнений на растяжку нужно разогреться. Otherwise, there is a risk of injuries and sprains, after which you will have to recover for a long time, forgetting about your splits for a while. In each pose, try to stay no less than 30 seconds. Gradually increase the time spent in a static pose, bringing it to several minutes.
Exercises for longitudinal twine at home can be performed in several approaches, if exposure allows you to. Be sure to do exercises on two legs: first on one, then on the other. This is important even if you are only interested in left or right twine. Now consider an effective set of exercises for longitudinal twine.
After breathing in, drop into a lunge, similar to the pose of a runner, in which hands are on the floor or on blocks. The front foot should be a right angle. Reach the knee of the hind leg and straighten it. Try to lower the pelvis as low as possible so that the knee of the hind leg does not bend. Linger in this position. Then, while inhaling, keeping your back straight, reach up for your hands so that at the same time your pelvis stretches down. It is necessary to feel the tension of the muscles of the legs. Being in a lunge, try to distribute body weight on two legs.
Remaining in the same position of the runner, move your hands on one side of the leg that is in front. Lower your elbows without rounding your back. If it’s hard for you to do this, place the blocks, or rest on your hands. This exercise helps stretch your hip joints and groin.
The knee of the hind leg should be lowered to the floor, hands should be placed on two sides of the leg in front. Hold in this position, trying to lower the pelvis as low as possible. You can make several repetitions of the pulsating up and down movements, but then again linger in a static position.
Same can be done with the back foot resting on a chair - this will help to strengthen the stretching of the hind leg. Pull the crown up to increase tension.
Return to the lunge again, stretch the spine in accordance with the thigh of the hind leg. While exhaling, straighten your legs, lengthen with the tailbone up. The forehead should be directed to the lower leg. Try to stretch your belly down so your back is not rounded. Hands elongate forward or grab the shin of the leg in front.
From the lunge position, stretch the right leg forward, and the back should lie on the rug. Tilt while keeping your back straight. Extend your arms forward or place your elbows on the floor. In the final position, hold for a while, breathing deeply. With each exhalation, try to release the tension of the back of the outstretched leg. You can strengthen the stretch of the hind leg by placing it on a chair.
You need to take the pose of a pigeon. The left pelvic bone should cover the straight heel. Deepen this position by gently pushing the right lower leg slightly forward. In this case, you need to lean on your hands. Now you need to somehow twist the right thigh inward, lowering the tailbone down.
Bend your back leg at the knee, with your hand on the same side, grasp the foot and pull your heel towards the buttock. You need to feel the stretching of the front of the thigh. Change hand grip, with the opposite hand grab the foot. Exhaling, lower yourself on your free hand with your forehead. This exercise in longitudinal twine is not too complicated, but effective.
You need to lie on the floor, bend your legs at the knees. Lift one leg upward vertically, grasp its foot and pull the leg with your hands towards you. You can use a strap for this exercise. The sacrum should remain on the floor, keep the knee straight, the front of the thigh should be strained. In the process, you need to feel how the back muscles of the leg lengthened.
It is necessary to accept the dog’s position, popular in yoga, with its face down. The back, back of the head and arms should be in one straight line. Pull out the spine. The tailbone needs to be pulled back and up. Bend your knees alternately, trying to completely lower the heel to the floor. The thigh should be directed towards the stomach, arms and back should be in the same plane. After both heels, lower to the floor and fix in this position for a while. This exercise helps stretch the back of the legs.
Correct longitudinal twine: how to perform
The above exercises will help you deal with how to do longitudinal twine. But even if your flexibility is already sufficient, and you are ready to start directly full twine. And with already sufficient training, you need to follow some rules, remembering safety precautions.
If you are still not sure of your own flexibility, you can use two blocks or stacks of books. Correct longitudinal twine should be performed as follows:
- It is necessary to stand on one knee, put the front leg in front at a right angle, and with the toe of the back leg rest against the floor. The back should be straight, the stomach should be tucked up, the shoulders should be straightened. The pelvic bones should be in the same line and be directed forward. Inhale and exhale, then gradually begin to disperse your legs to the sides, while lowering the pelvis.
- Having reached the extreme position, freeze. When the pelvis drops low enough, you need to hold the floor with your hands and stretch your knees.
- Now you need to carefully exit the twine position. Stretch your legs in front of you, move them slightly to relieve tension. Repeat the same for the other leg.
Thus, performing this exercise gradually and falling lower and lower, you will soon sit on a full twine.
Qualitatively performing the proposed exercises, you can gradually achieve your goal. It’s realistic to sit on a longitudinal split at any age and at any level of preparation, just someone needs more time for this, and someone less. The main thing is not to quit classes halfway, but to go to the end and do exercises regularly.
To better understand how to sit on a longitudinal twine, the videos below will help you.
We do the longitudinal twine correctly
You can’t easily sit on a longitudinal twine if you don’t understand how it looks in the correct version. Legs should be in line. The back always remains flat. You can not take your foot to the side (most often this problem concerns the hind leg). Improper posture leads to balance problems. It becomes difficult to hold without support. The risk of injury increases. Since unprepared muscles are included in the work.
Most people who have just mastered the twine have the following errors:
- The knee of the hind leg does not straighten. This is most often associated with a poorly prepared tendon.
- The body is tilted forward. Many people do not focus on a flat back. Lean forward or take the case back. This not only spoils the appearance, but can also cause pain in the lumbar region and spine. Having descended into longitudinal twine, remember that the spine should be directed perpendicular to the floor. Tense abdominal muscles will help to keep your back even.
- The thigh of the hind leg does not lie on the floor. To fix this, straighten your knee.
It is very important to work out the right muscles during stretching.
A competent fitness instructor will tell you about two important nuances:
- During transverse and longitudinal twine, different muscles and ligaments work.
- Each type of twine is distinguished by its biomechanics
The type and number of exercises for training, its duration and the final result will depend on this.
We fall to the twine
Before “parting” in longitudinal splits, we will talk about the prerequisites for a successful workout. This will make it more effective and less painful.
- Be sure to warm up. It is best to start it with active exercises: running, squats, burp, jumping, etc. The main task is to warm up all muscle groups.
- Carefully stretch the "working" muscles. We repeat: in longitudinal and transverse twine, they are different. It is important to choose the right set of exercises.
- Training is carried out in stages. Allow enough time for each exercise. Take your time. Muscles stretch best in statics. When in one position you need to stay 20 - 30 seconds. If it is difficult to withstand such a time in a static pose, start with a delay of 10 seconds. With each workout, increase this period of time.
- The most important. If you want to quickly fall on the twine - you need to stretch daily. Ideally, if it will be two workouts a day. In other cases, it is enough to train 2 times a week.
It was already mentioned above that it is better to start a warm-up with exercises such as running or jumping rope. This allows you to warm up your muscles and tune in to training. Especially when it comes to morning exercises, when the body has not yet had time to wake up. In addition to the active part, classical exercises should be included in the warm-up, with the help of which there is preparation for the work of individual muscles. Here is a list of these exercises:
- We rotate the head.
- Rotation of the hands.
- Rotation of the legs.
- Rotation of the foot.
- Tilts down.
- We bend to the feet.
- Lean down and back.
Warm-up is done from top to bottom: head, arms, shoulder girdle, trunk, legs. At the end of the warm-up complex, the muscles will become more plastic. Like Soviet plasticine, which was heated in hands. Focus on working muscles. Now consider how to perform the exercises correctly.
We start the workout with the cervical spine. It consists of the following movements:
- Tilts the head back and forth.
- Tilts of the head alternately to the left and right shoulder.
- Head turn left and right.
Each cycle of movements must be repeated 8 to 10 times. Do not forget about the fragility of the cervical spine. Sudden movements can cause personal injury. Especially for those who work a lot at the computer. Perform all movements slowly. Trying to carefully develop the neck muscles.
Some discomfort in the form of mild dizziness and nausea may occur in people with sensitive vestibular apparatus. In this case, you can perform movements with your eyes closed. After a few workouts, the body adapts, discomfort will pass by itself.
With this exercise, joints, upper back, and deltoid muscles are warmed up. We will consider the option of classic hand rotation. But, if desired, you can first do a rotation with your shoulders, and then go to the hands. So the upper back warms up better. During rotation with your hands, you can add steps with a high knee lift to start warming up the lower muscle groups:
- Perform rotations with straight arms back, describing a full circle. Perform 10 repetitions with each hand.
- Perform rotations with straight arms forward, describe a full circle. We also perform 10 repetitions.
It is important to strain the hand when performing the movement. They should not hang out. Try to perform each movement with the same amplitude.
First, classic side slopes are performed. This exercise is known to many since kindergarten or school. With the help of this exercise, the intercostal muscles, oblique muscles of the abdomen, back, and lower back are stretched:
- Perform 10 slopes to the right.
- We carry out 10 inclinations to the left.
In this seemingly simple exercise, special attention should be paid to the position of the body. The hand should stretch to the side, not up. With the right direction of the hand, tension is felt in the oblique muscles of the press. The chest is turned upward. The hips are fixed at one point. The back also remains flat, without deflection in the lower back. This position of the body should be maintained at each repetition. When rising to the starting position, do not move your hips. Only the hull is movable.
Smoothly move on to warming up the lower body. First, knead the buttocks, pelvis and joints. Beginners can make these movements based on a chair, wall, or other convenient support. To keep your balance easier, try to fix your gaze on one fixed point. It can be a cupboard, a vase on a shelf, or any other item:
- We stand on one foot. Do not swing. Imagine - embedded in the floor. This does not give you the opportunity to move.
- The second leg bent at the knee is pulled to the chest
- With a bent leg, we describe the outer circle, then the inner one. In each direction we do 8 repetitions.
- Repeat the exercise with the second leg.
As in the warm-up of the hands, the amplitude of movement is important here. The circle described by the knee should be wide enough. Try to ensure that the knee follows the same path in every movement.
The objective of this exercise is to warm up the ankle. The gluteal muscles will also be involved:
- We remain standing on one leg.
- The knee of the working leg is pulled to the chest, hold by hand. Try to place the knee as close to the body as possible.
- Perform the rotation of the foot. First, make a clockwise movement, then against it. 8 to 10 repetitions in each direction. After this, repeat the exercise with the second leg.
This simple exercise cannot be ignored. Tendons in the ankle are very fragile. Unheated, they are easily injured.
The slopes are designed to work out all the main muscles of the back, back of the thigh, and tendons under the knees. In order to effectively work through all of these areas, pay attention to some of the features of the implementation. Legs remain level all the time, knees do not bend. This will allow you to work out the tendons and biceps of the thigh. Body weight transferred to socks. In this case, the heels remain standing on the floor. During tilt, the maximum possible deflection should form in the lumbar. Imagine that a heavy stone lies on the lower back, and the priest rests against the wall. Let's move on to the description of the exercise:
- We set our feet shoulder width apart (or slightly wider). In order not to lose balance during the tilt.
- Lower the body ninety degrees. Hands are on hips. We make short (springy) inclinations. All you need to do 30 springs.
It is very important to feel the tension under the knees. So tendons stretch. Try to keep this feeling from start to finish. Only the back works. The bottom is not hanging out.
Tilt to the legs
The same muscle groups are involved as in the other types of inclinations. Try to feel the work of each of them. When doing this, try not to round your back. This is best done opposite the mirror:
- Legs remain level with shoulders.
- We straighten our backs to one leg.
- Move the case to the center.
- We pass to the second.
- Need to repeat 8 times.
Body weight is concentrated on socks. Heels do not come off the floor. The back remains straight. Try to relax your shoulder blades and shoulder girdle. Remember - the bottom of the body is motionless. It was as if his feet had grown to the floor. The knees remain straight all the time.
Before you begin the basic exercises for twine, we will talk about the benefits of stretching. Flexible muscles and tendons play an important role in human life. They allow the body to remain mobile for a long time and perform its functions. During training, a beautiful posture is formed, and the abdominal muscles are strengthened. And now the good news for the fair sex. Regular exercises help to get rid of fat in problematic female places: waist, buttocks, hips.
During regular training, the process of strengthening the walls of blood vessels starts. There is an amazing opportunity to get rid of the manifestations of varicose veins (in the early stages of the disease) and generally improve the appearance of the legs. The exercises described below can be performed as a separate training session, or as the final stage of strength training. This will help to form a beautiful embossed body, without loss of functionality.
Lunge - the main pose for stretching to longitudinal twine. It involves almost all the "working" muscles. This is the gluteal muscle, hips, legs, etc. During the exercise, pay attention to the back knee. It always remains direct. Body weight should be distributed evenly on both legs.
Now consider the technique for doing the exercise:
- We take a “giant” step forward (lunge). Hands after entering a position fall to the floor. If you do not reach, use the gymnastic block or a stack of books as a support.
- We try to lower the pelvis to the floor. Attention back. The leg remains straight.
- While inhaling, we raise our arms high and straighten our back. The pelvis is still heading down.
We fix this position for half a minute. For beginners, the duration of the exercise is ten seconds. Do not forget to increase this time with each training.
In a static lunge, the work of the same muscles as in the previous exercise is very well felt. Please note that in a static lunge you need to smoothly go from the previous position:
- Remaining in the pose of a runner, we lower our hands.
- Lower the hind leg to the floor.
- We linger in this position for a minute.
This exercise is simple and does not cause trouble even for beginners. Focus on the position of the case. The back should remain flat. To maintain balance, you can lean on the back of the chair. Try not to fall sideways.
After a minute, repeat the bunch of two exercises on the other leg.
Tilt to one leg
When tilting to one leg, the calf muscles and Achilles tendons are additionally involved. Во время выполнения этого упражнения многие испытывают неприятные ощущения в области сухожилий. Это связано с тем, что сухожилия у большинства из нас жесткие, и никогда не испытывали подобной нагрузки. Поэтому растягивать их нужно аккуратно и тщательно.
Иначе, опуститься в продольный шпагат будет проблематично:
- Задняя нога согнута в колене под прямым углом. Передняя вытянута вперед.
- Корпус наклоняем к вытянутой ноге. To the knee you need to reach with your chest, but not with your shoulders.
- Spring 8 times.
Lunge with elbows on the floor
The main problems when performing this kind of lunge arise with the position of the hull. It can fall in one direction or another. This happens in almost everyone, due to the unusual position of the body. Try to stay in one plane. Tense muscles of the body will help maintain balance. Do not forget that the back, at all stages of the exercise, must remain flat. Do not lower your shoulders, keep the chest section “open”.
- The front leg is bent at the knee, the back is fully extended.
- Lower the case to the floor. Reliance on the elbows.
- We linger in this position for a minute.
Those who cannot lower their elbows to the floor the first time can use a stack of books or a gymnastic cube for additional support. With each subsequent workout, try to lower yourself. The groin, as in all types of stretch marks of such a plan, should be directed strictly down.
Stretching for the quadriceps, or anterior thigh
The name of the exercise speaks for itself. Here we will stretch quadriceps (front thigh). Please note: the inguinal region, throughout the exercise, should tend down to the floor. If you’re afraid of “parting,” place a gymnastic cube or book under your hind leg. It’s best to complete this exercise by moving from a lunge on the elbows:
- After completing the previous exercise, raise the body and remain in the “lunge” pose.
- One hand rests on the floor, and the other stretches back towards the toe.
It is important not to lean back. Here it is necessary to work out exactly the quadriceps, and not the muscles of the body.
With the help of leg swings, we finally warm up the working muscles and ligaments. The first type of swing is done lying on your back.
It is very important to press the body and non-working leg tightly to the floor throughout the exercise:
- We lay down on our back, arms spread apart to the side.
- We sharply raise the leg up, trying to squeeze it as close as possible to the chest, and then lower it to the floor.
- We do 20 to 30 repetitions.
Mahi on the side
Performing the following exercise, try to bring the leg as far as possible, over the shoulder. The body and non-working leg should be in one line. To maintain a stable position, you can lean on your forearm. The press and the body should be tight, buttocks tightened. This will help to avoid unnecessary body vibrations and maintain balance:
- We lie down on our side, swing the leg straight up.
- Perform 20 mach.
Keep your foot level. Do not bend your knee.
This is the final exercise of the complex, after which you can go to the top position. When performing, control the position of the legs. They should not "disperse" in different directions. The heel of the hind leg is directed to the floor (in the second part of the exercise). Not everyone can put her there. This is not scary. The main thing is to emphasize this effort:
- Again, go to the “lunge”. The front knee is bent, the back leg is straight.
- We do 8 springing movements, the groin area (again we focus on it) tend down.
- After that (without moving the foot) we straighten the front leg, and repeat 8 springs down.
Gradually, it is from this position that you can descend into the longitudinal twine. After completing the exercise, slowly “gather” your legs, rise from the floor. Those who wish can get out of this pose into the so-called “support twine”.
Twine with support
This type of longitudinal twine is intended for those who are still mentally and physically not ready to sink to the end on the floor. As insurance, gymnastic cubes or books are used. The cube is placed under the thigh of the hind leg, forming a support for it. It is very important to drop completely onto the cube. Spend 30-60 seconds in this position. Then carefully rise. With each subsequent repetition, drop a little lower, and increase the duration by 3-5 seconds.
During the execution of such a twine, pay attention to the correct position of the legs and body. Recall that the back should be straight, and the legs should be in one line. Only in this position can you sit on the correct longitudinal twine.
In the complex described above, at your discretion, you can add additional exercises. This is done if there is a desire to further stretch one or another muscle group. When adding additional exercises, you need to take into account their specificity. Training should always take place "from top to bottom." First, we stretch the cervical spine, shoulder girdle, muscles of the body, legs. In the same way, additional exercises will be inserted. We will describe several such options so that you have the opportunity to make your workouts more interesting and varied.
Tilts with hands in the castle
We recommend that you perform this exercise in the “torso” section. It warms up the back, lower back, shoulder girdle well.
Slopes are performed as follows:
- We put our feet shoulder width apart.
- Hands are fixed “in the lock” behind the back.
- Lower the case down, at the same time with this movement raise your hands up.
- Go down to the knees with your chest, do not round your back.
Such inclinations stretch not only the back of the thigh, but also stretch the back muscle
Stretching in the "Pigeon Pose"
In this position, you can go from any attack. But, it will be best to put this exercise before performing leg swings.
- We put the knee of the front leg on the floor, we hide the heel under the femur of the hind leg.
- The tibia is slowly carried forward. The pelvis is lowered to the floor, as far as flexibility allows, the hand rests on the floor.
- The back leg is bent at the knee. If necessary, you can help yourself with your hand. The main tension will be felt in the quadriceps area.
- Holding the back leg with your hand, lower the body to the floor. We try to stay in this position for 60 seconds.
Stretching straight legs
This is the final exercise of the complex. It is best done after swinging legs.
- We stay on your back. Raise the working leg up and grab the foot with your hands.
- With gentle, springy movements, pull your leg to your chest.
- Keep your foot as close to your chest as possible. In this position, we remain for 10-20 seconds.
An important point is the knees. They must be straight.
Stretching in the pose "dog face down"
Everyone who has come across yoga or Pilates knows this asana. The back, shoulder girdle, and tendons stretch well in it. This position can be set both at the beginning of the training and in the middle, for a smooth "transition" to stretching the lower body:
- We become in the pose “dog face down”: the body is tilted down, resting on straight arms, the tailbone pointing up. From the side it should look like an isosceles triangle. Do not forget about the back. It should be flat. Do not round or bend.
- Without changing your posture, we begin to imitate walking. The knees are directed strictly towards the chest.
- Heels lower to the floor. We remain in this position for 10-20 seconds (can be longer).
Stretching while standing
This type of stretch is suitable for an advanced level. The difficulty lies in the need to pull the leg, while maintaining balance. But, having reached a certain level of preparation, this exercise will help make home stretching more effective:
- Starting position: we become straight, closing feet.
- We transfer the weight to the right leg. We bend the left knee and pull it to the chest.
- Slowly straighten the leg up.
- In this position, we linger for 10 seconds, lowering the leg, we return to the starting position.
In a lighter version of this exercise, the leg remains bent. Pull it closer to your chest.
The secret to homework success
In order to sit on the longitudinal twine at home, it is important to exercise regularly. The amount of time it takes to achieve the goal will depend on different conditions: physiological characteristics, regularity of training, the presence of injuries, physical fitness. Someone will be able to achieve their goal in a week, and someone will need a month.
To achieve the result as quickly as possible, pay attention to the following rules:
- The regularity of training. It can be both daily training, and several times a week. But a prerequisite is that they must be regular, and breaks between classes should not exceed 5 days. Otherwise, the body will forget about the work done and at the next training session you will have to start all over again.
- It is most effective to do the whole complex of exercises first with one leg, then with the second. Try to move smoothly from one position to another. So the muscles will be in a state of tension throughout the workout. This will make training more productive. When building a training on this principle, do not forget that the exposure time for each muscle group should be the same.
- Feel free to use ancillary equipment: chair, books, gymnastics bars or pitches. These items help you stretch properly by working out the right muscles.
- Many, when doing stretching, forget about such an important detail as suitable clothing. The training uniform should be made of strong elastic fabric. It should not constrain movements and cause discomfort during training. It is best to give preference to modern synthetic fabrics.
As for shoes, then for stretching it is not needed. Such exercises can be done barefoot, or in special socks with “bare” fingers and a rubberized sole.
- So that after training, muscle pain does not kill the desire to sit on the longitudinal twine, get a warming ointment in the medicine cabinet. It will also help in case of injuries.
- The best time for home workouts is morning and evening. Choose a time when nobody and nothing will distract you. Try to relax as much as possible while doing the exercises and focus on the correctness of the exercises.
- Track the execution time of the exercises by the clock, and not "by eye". As practice shows, a person cannot objectively evaluate time without hours. If there are none in front of your eyes, count down the time with the help of breath. Each exercise should last about 5 - 6 full cycles. One breathing cycle consists of inhaling and exhaling. You need to breathe slowly, at the same pace throughout the workout.
The appearance of pain during stretching for the twine is a normal phenomenon. Unpleasant sensations in the stretched muscles and tendons indicate that everything is going according to plan. But the appearance of sharp pain, accompanied by darkening in the eyes, suggests that you should stop training. This may be a signal of injury. In this case, you should consult a doctor.
As you can see, the secret to longitudinal twine is simple. It consists of regular training and properly selected exercises.